Thursday, October 03, 2013
1. The true size of Africa. Discussion at the Economist.
2. Impoverished Indian villagers convert variously to Christianity or Hinduism in exchange for promises of free food and education.
3. Over at Cracked.com, columnist "John Cheese" continues his streak of wit and wisdom with "5 Changing Perspectives that Show You've Become an Adult."
4. Fascinating profile of artist Norman Rockwell: his battle with mental illness, possible homosexuality, failed marriages, the initial rejection of his art by the U.S. government during WWII, his gradual shift leftward and embrace of the civil rights movement, and his eventual recognition by the fine arts establishment.
5. Critical review of S. T. Joshi's monumental two-volume history of horror fiction.
6. The many temptations of Shaitan (the Devil in Islam). And see here.
7. Not your typical Paris fashion show.
8. Face morphs of Star Trek actors past and present.
9. The attack of the killer hornets.
10. Runners have healthier knees than non-runners.
11. Steroids given to livestock survive and regenerate in our waterways.
12. Chinese man has new nose grown on forehead.