2. (Finally) some good news on American health care costs: the CBO is revising downward its estimates for federal spending on health care.
3. Science says: drink me.
4. Science says: eat me.
5. Paying alcoholics in beer to clean up the city.
6. The FBI's "philosophical investigations" (apologies to L. Wittgenstein).
7. Do we owe the Beatles to luck?
8. Why Russians don't smile more.
9. Was Thomas Jefferson a Unitarian?
10. Ocean acidification could trigger economic devastation.
11. Why Mormon writers generally stick to genre fiction and not literary fiction.
12. The rediscovery of Nigerian synth funk pioneer William Obyeabor.
13. Bizarre marginal illustrations from medieval manuscripts.
14. The complete works of Hieronymus Bosch.
15. Reihan Salam's alternative to Medicaid: concierge doctors + catastrophic coverage.
16. Right-wing and left-wing pundits call for guaranteed minimum income as alternative to welfare as we know it.
17. NFL player John Moffitt quits football because of Noam Chomsky and the Dalai Lama?
18. "The biggest category of gun violence, he said, is also the most underreported and poorly documented: when a shooter misses the target or shoots to intimidate."
19. Book review of Michael Clune's White Out: The Secret Life of Heroin. The review is lent strength and insight by the writer's own struggles with addiction.