1. Graeme Wood's harrowing profile of the Islamic State (ISIS).
2. According to this article, Germany's army is so underequipped that it painted broomsticks black to use in place of actual assault rifles for a parade. This is grim news considering Russia's recent rumblings in the Ukraine and elsewhere.
3. The tragic tale of Walter Pitts, logician.
4. The infamous Brindley urology lecture included a live demonstration.Tip of the hat to Scott Alexander at Slate Star Codex.
5. Was Galileo on the side of rationality? Another find from Scott Alexander, who also recommends these two comments for giving much needed additional insight and context.
6. At the risk of turning this blog into a curated Slate Star Codex feed (arguably it's already too late), here is yet another gem unearthed by Scott Alexander: correlations between college major and performance on general intelligence tests.
7. The story of Hasidic and other ultra-orthodox atheists who lead a double life.
8. An essay on age discrimination in faculty hiring.