Wednesday, July 22, 2015
1. The end of human civilization, viewed through the lens of a hipster "cereal cafe" in East London--a mostly true tale, told with wit and verve by blogger Sam Kriss. (From 2014, but news to me.)
2. Quran fragments recently found in a UK library are among the oldest known.
3. Two recent studies have found DNA evidence linking indigenous people from South America to populations in Australia and Oceania. The researchers differ as to how people from Australia or Oceania got to South America: one group suggests travel via land bridge across the Bering Strait, the other evidently suggests travel across the Pacific Ocean.
4. Mountain Dew or Mountain Don't? (Ahem.) More evidence linking sweet beverages to Type 2 diabetes.
5. An oldie but a goody: "If you want to be taken seriously, use the font Baskerville."
6. "The mobile web sucks." (Via marginalrevolution.com.)
7. Scientific studies on the illusion of knowledge.
8. "The evils of capitalism exposed in one powerful meme."