Sunday, November 22, 2015
1. Original Star Wars concept art.
2. "The truth behind traditional Chinese kung fu."
3. Interview with Gay Talese, inventor of the New Journalism (or, journalism as non-fiction storytelling).
4. American landlords prefer refugee tenants.
5. Music for the future past: L.A. Takedown.
6. Department of ruh-roh: China finance division.
7. "Ur es mayr im," by Armenian a cappella group Luys Quintet.
8. Psychologist Jonathan Haidt on two competing visions of higher ed: "Strengthen U" vs. "Coddle U". (Haidt argues that intellectual and personal growth comes through being exposed to and confronting challenges, not through being insulated from anything that causes offense.)
9. "Generic socio-political meme pic."
10. "Master of None" is a fine new television series which is genuinely funny and which fruitfully examines issues such as immigration, feminism, the gap between today's entitled narcissistic youth and their long-suffering elders (ahem), and racial stereotypes in the entertainment industry.