Saturday, December 05, 2015
1. Researchers at Fermilab fail to find evidence in support of the holographic universe hypothesis.
2. Does college improve critical thinking? The evidence is weak, and mixed.
3. According to the Star Wars wiki, Jar Jar Binks' father was named George R. Binks, and he attempted to commit suicide after his son Jar Jar caused them to be stranded on a deserted island during a failed whaling expedition. (Via Scott Alexander of Slate Star Codex.)
4. Also via Scott Alexander (ahem): Favorability ratings of Muslims go up after terrorist attacks by Islamists.
5. Saving the musty, mysterious library of William James scholar Eugene Taylor.
6. In his recent book on culture in human evolution, Joseph Henrich argues that the capacity to acquire culture is an adaptation and that the particular ways in which we acquire culture (such as imitating high prestige persons) are shaped by natural selection.